Chicken and Mandarin Chopped Salad
(serves 3) 10 minutes to make, 384 calories per serving
1 (15 oz) can chilled mandarin oranges
1/2 cup Marzetti lowfat slaw dressing
1/3 cup dried cranberries (will sub raisins for hubby)
1/4 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
1 medium head of iceberg lettuce chopped to make 5 cups
1 (12.5 oz) can of chunk chicken
- Reserve 1/4 cup of juice from oranges, drain the remaining juice and discard. Set oranges aside
- Make the dressing in a small bowl : stir together orange juice and slaw dressing. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl: add cranberries, feta and chopped lettuce.
- Add the chicken, oranges and dressing and then toss until well mixed.
- Serve immediately.
(5 servings) 30 minutes, 300 calories per serving
1 (7.5 ounce) can home-style biscuits
1 (16 ounce) package extra lean ground beef
1 1/2 teaspoon steak seasoning
1 (8.5 ounce) can peas & carrots
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
3 cups skim milk
- Place the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place th biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet and set aside.
- Spray a 12 inch saucepan with cooking spray. brown and crumble the ground beef with seasoning over high heat.
- Drain the liquid from the peas and carrots into a small bowl set the veggies aside.
- Add cornstarch to the liquid from veggies and mix until dissolved. Set aside.
- Once the meat is browned reduce heat to medium.
- Stir the milk and cornstarch into meat and gently stir in the veggies. Cook over medium heat bring to a slow boil while stirring occasionally.
- Let the meat and veggie mix cook at a slow boil for 10 minutes.
- Place the biscuits in the oven and bake for 10 minutes
- Turn off the heat ans the mixture sits the gravy will thicken.
- Serve beef gravy over the biscuits.
(serves 15) 25 minutes, 168 calories per serving
- See Wednesday's post for recipe and crock adaption.
(serves 6) 25 minutes, 282 calories per serving
1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian diced tomatoes
1 (6.5 ounce) can mushroom pieces and stems
2 (14 ounce) jars pizza sauce
7 fat-free flour tortilla shells
62 slices of pepperoni
1/2 cup shredded part-skim milk mozzarella cheese
- Drain and discard juice from tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Place the tomatoes and mushrooms in a mixing bowl and add pizza sauce. Stir to make a tomato sauce.
- Spray a 2 qt microwaveable baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Place 1 tortilla in the bottom of dish
- Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce on the tortilla
- Place 8 slices of pepperoni on the tomato sauce
- Continue layering until sauce is gone
- For the last layer place 1/2 cup tomato sauce, cheese and 14 slices of pepperoni.
- Cover with waxed paper and place in microwave on high for 10 minutes.
Very Berry Spiced Applesauce
(serves 8) 5 minutes prep, 90 calories per serving
1 (20 ounce) can no-sugar added apple pie filling
1/2 cup firmly packed dried mixed berries
1 (25 ounce) jar unsweetened applesauce, chilled
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 Tablespoon Splenda granular
- Open the can of pie filling. While the filling is still in the can run a sharp knife through the apples to chunk them up.
- Finely chop the dried berries and set aside
- In a medium sized serving bowl, combine pie filling, applesauce, allspice, berries and splenda. Stir until well mixed and serve.
Hot Spiced Peaches
(6 servings) 15 minutes prep and 145 calories
1 (29 ounce) can no sugar added sliced yellow cling peaches
1/3 cup red hots (cinnamon imperial candies)
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 Tablespoon water
- In a 2 1/2 quart saucepan stir in peaches and candies. Cook on high heat bringing to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- In a small bowl make a paste of cornstarch and water then stir into the peaches
- Remove from the heat and let it sit for three minutes
I hope you enjoyed the recipes come back tomorrow and Wednesday for a chance to win the cookbook and the crockpot adapted soup recipe.