ss_blog_claim=4f872fe49220362935df164851758185 ss_blog_claim=4f872fe49220362935df164851758185

Monday, July 6, 2009

Guest Post: Do You Plan Your Meals For The Week ?

Hey everyone. I am still out at the Boy Scout camp but my friend Sandy was kind enough to write to you about how to plan your meals. Read on and look for her button (Smart Cents Mom)in my blog list. Thanks Sandy!

Meal Planning!! You see it everywhere. It is on blogs and in magazines. Meal planning is the new hot thing to do. Why is it so popular now? Because it can save time and money at the grocery store. So do you plan your meals for the week?

I do now! Oh, I did when I was a poor college student and I did when I was first married but I fell out of the habit. Now, I am meal planning addict. It is saving me a ton of money at the grocery store.

Here is how to get started:

Decide what day you are going to make your weekly menu. My day is Tuesday. That is the day that my local grocery ads come out. I use those ads combined with Super Target, Aldi, and Walmart ads to plan my meals. Remember some stores will price match competitor’s ads.

Take your ads and look for the super specials. Those really great loss leaders like boneless chicken breasts for .99 lb or sweet corn 10 for $1. Circle them in the ad or write them in your notebook. If the product is really cheap and you can store it then consider buying extra to add to your stockpile.

Next check your stockpile & freezer. Make a note of items that you are low on.

Flip through your recipes. Plan your meals based on what is on sale and what you can use from your stockpile.

When planning the week, I take into account our planned activities. For example, right now my kids are busy on Tuesday & Thursday afternoons. We don’t get home until after 6 pm. I try to plan crock pot recipes for those nights. Also in the summer, I plan more grilling recipes.

Don’t be afraid to try new recipes. I like to try a new recipe about once a week. To get new recipes, I read other blog’s meal menus and check the abundance of recipe sites on the internet.


I have noticed that I am spending less on groceries and less time at the stores. Think about planning your meals! It will make your life easier!

0 comments:

Post a Comment